Friday, August 1, 2014

ESRA Diego

I picked Diego up from his temp foster (thanks Etta!) on July 11. It's taken me a while to introduce him as we have spent the last three weeks figuring out how to co-exist peacefully. To be honest, it's been more challenging than I anticipated.
Diego lays Frog Dog style often.
Diego is unfortunately in rescue because his owner died. Poor guy has been shuffled around quite a bit (with the best of intentions, mind you) in the last couple of months. He lived with his owner for 12 years and this new world has been a little bit of a shock for him.
Out for dinner at Panera, mat work like a boss.
It became very apparent that the first issue we had to address was separation anxiety. I don't ever claim to be the best at treating separation anxiety, but I certainly know the basics. And thankfully, we've made a LOT of progress in just the last week. I promise I will detail what I did in an upcoming post. But for now, I'm thrilled that Diego can safely, quietly, and happily, stay in his xpen while I'm gone at work.
Awkward dog sleeping at work.
We also realized that he's got pretty significant pain in his his wrists (right more than left) and we're in the process of getting to the bottom of that. Luckily, I work where I do! We'll get him as comfortable as possible.

So far Diego is respectful of other animal's space, pays no attention to my cats, and is a very quick learner. He already knew sit and down. In just a couple days time he has learned nose to hand touches, goes into his xpen on cue, and gets on the scale at work on cue!
He really does sleep sometimes!

He is working on riding in the car appropriately... (it's a good thing Gabby is incredibly tolerant).

Right now we're trying to find a balance between keeping him active (well, he's plenty active on his own) and letting him be too active so his wrist hurts. Our evenings are usually spent pretty low key, and he loves to lay on my feet. Mornings are greeted JOYFULLY, reliably at 7am. He spins in happy circles for meals and as we harness/leash up to go out in the morning.

I shied away from fostering him because he reminded me too much of Buzz. But he is helping my heart heal, while I help him.



No comments:

Post a Comment