Saturday, October 12, 2013

"Failing" Fostering

Gaby is now Gabby.
First night...
She's been with me four months on Friday 10/4, and I finally made the official decision to keep her. Some people have asked why. Is it because I don't think someone else will take care of her? Is it because I feel sorry for her? Not exactly.

First night, post bath. I still admire her butterfly daily.

The more I got to know the real Gabby, the more I enjoyed her. She's so silly with her toys--taking flying leaps to grab them from the floor after I throw them. She's so happy to greet each day and all her friends--that Rottweiler-like-nub just wags her whole butt! She's so good with Buzz (when she isn't too excited).

That's what she did for the first couple months. Stared and stood.

But most convincing of all, is that Gabby loves to work. She was literally like a lump when I got her. She just laid around all the time and had a general disinterest in everything. Sure, she pottied outside and let me pet her but she wasn't interested in anything I was doing. She humored me by going for walks (or at least until her feet got sore).
At the dog park. She just kind of ambled around.
The more she started to come out of her shell, the more I realized how awesome she is. I had to give up on any attempts to train her for the first two or more months because she wouldn't take food reliably. She just freight-trained around. This last month however, she's turned into a completely different dog. She's learning how to be operant, she's offering the very few behaviors she knows, and I'm getting the hang of shaping her to do fun stuff. In the last month alone, she's learned how to lie down, how to hand target, how to walk politely on a leash, and how to wait to get into the car (well, this one will always be a work in progress, but the baby basics of impulse control are there).
And then she started DOING things, like playing tug!
And she taught me that she loves to spin in circles to show her excitement, and use her nose. She enjoys food and treats now, chewing on bully sticks and other things as they're available. She relaxes in her crate while I'm away but is always ready to say hi the minute I walk in the door.
Even if she still looked sad while doing it.

Oh, and she's pretty unflappable. She's that take-anywhere dog I love. I haven't had a worry in the world anywhere I've taken her. She has been concerned about a few situations, but nothing earth shattering.

She's a joy to have around, and really is a genuine Good Dog.
Good Dog hanging out on the futon.
So she became MY Good Dog. Well, she will be after her adoption paperwork goes through officially. And even more so after we get her registration sorted out! Her temperament is that blend of Buzz and Bailey I've always desired. I simply couldn't let her go. Not when she fit in so well. Even if she is the exact opposite of what I envisioned my next dog would look like. I wanted a black & white boy, she's a liver & white (very faded) tri girl. I wanted a full tail, she's got the shortest Rottweiler-like nub ever. And she'll likely never be an agility dog. I'm not concerned.

We'll do the things we want to do, when we want to do them. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy her new life with her.
Now she plays tug with enthusiasm!
I think she has finally convinced Buzz that he doesn't need to worry about upsetting her, which also makes my heart happy. Watching them interact reminds me of past times when he and Bailey were good friends. The few times she's met Bailey, Gabby's been so respectful of space and resources. I couldn't have asked for a better third dog.
And poses for (blurry) pictures with expression.
And goes on Senior Spaniel dates.
I will be forever grateful for the stars aligning so I could meet this girl. Welcome home kiddo.
Happy, happy dog!





2 comments:

  1. Great post, Megan! Were you at the Edina Chuck and Don's with her? I brought my Abby in that afternoon. I've also failed fostering -- three times! :-) When we adopted Abby, we were looking for an older male, and ended up with a one-year-old female, completely the opposite, but as it turns out, the perfect fit for us. Thanks for giving Gabby her forever home! ~Shelley Kerber, MN ESRA member

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was me! I remember meeting Abby.

    Funny what falls into your lap when you're not looking. :)

    ReplyDelete